Friday, January 24, 2014

Understanding Our Children's Learning Style

I am horrible on the telephone.  I cannot stay focused unless I begin drawing flowers, faces and graphs on paper during a long conversation. But if I'm working on a project or on the computer, I will not hear you at all if you talk to me.  And if I try to do mathmatics in my head, I usually come up with the wrong number.

I am a visual learner first and foremost.  I focus on what I see in front of me.  I am single-focused which makes me wonderful at accomplishing tasks and offensive if you're trying to talk to me while I'm doing it.  If I can do the math on paper, I can get it right.  I learn best by seeing. 

My second strength in learning is tactile - if I can touch it, put my hands on it, I will remember how to do it.  I have to actually drive the directions to remember them.  The worst way for me to learn is auditory - I can get distracted too easily by what I see unless I'm taking notes (which I can see!).

We often label children with disabilities when their real issues is difference - they have a learning style that is different than the parents or teachers trying to teach them; different than most of the children in their family or class.  This doesn't mean they are less intelligent or gifted.  They simply have a different way of learning.  A wise parent or teacher will learn their child's style and teach them in a way they understand and grasp the lesson. 

I encourage you to follow this link and first take this test for yourself.  What kind of learner are YOU?  Then let the children take it.  If you are frustrated because a child seems to fight learning or seems unable to learn when you are explaining or lecturing, perhaps you need to add some visuals or hands-on projects to your lesson.  Every child CAN learn.  Your task is to learn how.

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=vak-quiz-visual-auditory-kinesthetic&id=121633

Carla Ives
HCI Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment