Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Power of God's Word!

Today I was reminded once again why it is so important to teach children the Word of God. It truly transforms their lives, regardless of their age. God's Word has the power to renew a child's mind, awaken their soul and change their perspectives, values, and behaviors. There are former street boys in Kampala, Uganda proving this right now... HCI's Discipleship Director, Caleb Ives is currently with Pastor Nelson Kyasooka of Grace Fellowship Ministries in Kampala, Uganda. Today he spoke with the headmaster, Richard Lubega, at the school the former street boys currently attend. He shared that they are excellent students, trying very hard, changing in their performance and behaviors. They are becoming "really good children." What brought this change? God's Word! The Word of God shared with a practical demonstration of God's amazing love (education, food, shelter, clothes)combine to transform lives. It's so easy to make a difference! I remember the impact of God's Word on my own daughter, Nicole, who now writes most of the curriculum offered here. She had terrible fits of rage as a child, crying, kicking, shouting, screaming, "I can't stop!" It began when she was a young babe and continued until she was nearly 7 years old. We tried everything suggested in Christian books and teachings, as well as ideas shared by professionals. Nothing worked. One day I prayed, admitting my inability to help her and crying out to God for HIS plan for changing my daughter. She was so precious and loving most of the time, but these outbursts were increasing. God's answer? Buy her a Bible. I argued with God, thinking that this was rewarding Nicole's behavior. But eventually I determined to obey. I took her to the Christian bookstore and allowed her to pick an adult Bible like the one I read. I told her I believed that she really couldn't stop, though she wanted to and God's Word would make the difference. There was power in God's Word to wash all of the anger away and change her from the inside-out. She believed! She carried her Bible as if it was made of gold and showed it to her father saying, "Look daddy! Mama bought me a Bible and it's going to make me better!" From that time on, we read her Bible every single night. When she felt a fit of rage trying to come, she would run to her bedroom and open her Bible, reading aloud until peace came. She never had another outburst like that again. God's Word works! We must teach the children of this generation God's Word. He is their hope! God's Word can transform their thoughts, behaviors, values and heal their broken hearts. There IS power in God's Word. Rise up and teach!!!! Submitted by: Pastor Carla Ives; HCI Founder

No comments:

Post a Comment